Green peas are a type of legume that are commonly consumed as a vegetable. They are known for their sweet taste, vibrant green color, and high nutritional value. Green peas are a good source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and iron.
Green peas can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, such as steamed, boiled, roasted, or added to soups, stews, and salads. They can also be used as a filling for savory pastries or blended into dips and spreads.
When selecting green peas, look for bright green pods that are firm and plump. Avoid pods that are discolored, spotted, or have moldy areas. You can also buy shelled green peas, which are sold fresh or frozen.
Green peas are best consumed fresh, but they can be stored for a few days in the refrigerator or frozen for longer-term storage. When storing green peas, it’s important to keep them dry and away from excess moisture, which can cause them to spoil.
Read also :- Health benefits of papaya leaf juice
Benefit green peas
Green peas offer a range of health benefits due to their nutritional content. Here are some of the benefits of consuming green peas :-
- Good source of fiber :- Green peas are a good source of dietary fiber, which can help to promote regularity, prevent constipation, and maintain a healthy digestive system.
- High in protein :- Green peas are a good source of plant-based protein, making them a great choice for vegetarians and vegans.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals :- Green peas are rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and iron, which can help to support overall health and wellness.
- May help lower cholesterol :- The fiber in green peas may help to lower cholesterol levels, which can help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- May aid in weight loss :- Green peas are low in calories and high in fiber, which can help to promote feelings of fullness and reduce overall calorie intake.
- May help regulate blood sugar :- The high fiber content in green peas may also help to regulate blood sugar levels, making them a good choice for people with diabetes.
Adding green peas to your diet can help to support overall health and wellness, and can be enjoyed in a variety of delicious dishes.
How do you store peas for a long time?
The season of green peas is coming to an end, let us know how to store them in some easy way, freshness will remain intact for a long time
Green peas are a seasonal delicacy that can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. To make sure that they stay fresh for as long as possible, it’s important to store them properly. Here are some tips for storing green peas :-
- Store in the refrigerator :- The best way to store fresh green peas is to keep them in the refrigerator. Put them in a perforated plastic bag or wrap them in a paper towel and then put them in a resealable plastic bag. This will help to prevent moisture from building up, which can cause them to spoil.
- Freeze :- If you have a lot of green peas and want to store them for a longer time, consider freezing them. First, blanch the green peas by boiling them for a few minutes and then immediately placing them in ice water. After they are cooled, drain them and then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Make sure to label the container with the date and type of food. Frozen green peas can last for up to 8 months.
- Use an airtight container :- If you are storing cooked green peas, put them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator. They can last for up to 3-5 days.
- Do not wash before storing :- Avoid washing green peas before storing, as moisture can cause spoilage. Before using peas, wash them and then make your desired recipe.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your green peas remain fresh and tasty for as long as possible.